Published Date: 2017-02-10 14:06:29
Subject: PRO/AH/EDR> Foot & mouth disease - Egypt: livestock, spread
Archive Number: 20170210.4829922
FOOT & MOUTH DISEASE - EGYPT: LIVESTOCK, SPREAD
A ProMED-mail post http://www.promedmail.org
ProMED-mail is a program of the International Society for Infectious Diseases http://www.isid.org
Date: Fri 10 Feb 2017
Source: Almogaz (Egypt) [in Arabic, machine trans., edited]
Member of Parliament (MP) Mohammed Ali, has issued an urgent statement addressing the spread of foot-and-mouth disease [FMD], adding that at present about 70 percent of the consumed meat is imported, with domestic production providing the remaining 30 percent.
The MP underlined that no pre-emptive action to counter the disease has been applied by the State apparatus. He further said that vaccination of cattle has been ignored and that there is "a state of blackout on the extent of the disease." The MP stressed the need to raise awareness of the disease, guide animal owners to report any suspicion of animal health problems, and about the importance of immunization by the veterinarians for the sake of animal and public health. He mentioned, the disease is present in many provinces, in particular, the provinces of Monufia (lower Egypt) and Qena (Upper Egypt).
[Similar reports are available in numerous Egyptian media sources.
According to the most recent available periodic report of Egypt to the OIE (semi-annual, January-June 2016), FMD outbreaks were officially recorded in 13 out of Egypt's 27 governorates, namely in Dakahlia, Beheira, Faiyum, Gharbia, Monufia, Minya, New Valley, Sharqia, Asyut, Beni Suef, Port Said, Damietta, and Kafr El Sheikh. In most of them the circulating virus was of the serotype O. FMDV serotype SAT2 was reported from Minya, New Valley, and Beni Suef. FMDV serotype A was reported from Faiyum, and Damietta. (Map at http://www.geoatlas.com/medias/maps/countries/egypt/eg3r92t/egypt_pol.jpg).
The number of FMD vaccinations, during the said 6 months was the following:
Bovine (official vaccination): 1 791 508; vaccinations in response to an outbreak: 400 552. (total national population, 2015 data -- 2 799 574).
Buffaloes (general, preventive vaccination): 934 856 (total national population, 2015 data -- 3 152 974).
Caprine (general, preventive vaccination): 94 600 (total national population, 2015 data -- 1 108 185).
Ovine (general, preventive vaccination): 492 901; vaccinations in response to an outbreak: 1255. (national population, 2015 data -- 2 328 141).
It should be reminded that the said vaccination figures represent only the 1st 6 months of 2016.
The FMDV strains known to have been circulating in Egypt during 2016 are, according to the data available at the Egypt page of WRLFMD, the following:
1. Serotype O, topotype EA-3, lineage unnamed
2. Serotype A, topotype AFRICA, lineage G-IV
3. Serotype SAT 2, topotype VII, lineage Alx-12
(Additional details, including genotyping results, at http://www.wrlfmd.org/fmd_genotyping/africa/egy.htm).
The recent introduction of FMDV serotype O into the Gaza strip (Palestinian Authority), bordering Egypt's Sinai peninsula, may be a spillover from Egypt. - Mod.AS
A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map can be accessed at: http://healthmap.org/promed/p/55.]