Published Date: 2017-02-09 12:18:57
Subject: PRO/AH/EDR> Foot & mouth disease - Israel (02): (HD) bovine, st O, OIE Palestinian Auth (GZ)
Archive Number: 20170209.4827158
FOOT & MOUTH DISEASE - ISRAEL (02): (HADAROM) BOVINE, SEROTYPE O, OIE PALESTINIAN AUTHORITY (GAZA)
A ProMED-mail post http://www.promedmail.org
ProMED-mail is a program of the International Society for Infectious Diseases http://www.isid.org
Date: Thu 9 Feb 2017
Source: OIE, WAHID (World Animal Health Information Database), weekly disease information 2017; 30(06) [edited]
Foot-and-mouth disease, Israel
Information received on [and dated] 9 Feb 2017 from Dr Nadav Galon, Director, Veterinary Services and Animal Health, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Bet Dagan, Israel
Date of report: 9 Feb 2017
Disease: Foot-and-mouth disease
Date of start of the event: 4 Feb 2017
Date of confirmation of the event: 6 Feb 2017
Causal Agent: FMD virus
Date of last occurrence: 7 Dec 2015
Clinical signs: yes
Summary of outbreaks
Total outbreaks: 1
Outbreak location: [District: [HaDarom/Southern]; sub district: Beer-Sheva; location: Nir Yizhaq
Epidemiological unit: farm.
Susceptible / Cases / Deaths / Destroyed / Slaughtered
650 / 79 / 0 / 0 / 0
Affected population: the outbreak occurred in a dairy herd in the Kibutz Nir Yizhaq. The following clinical symptoms were observed: drop in milk, drop in appetite, lesions on the udder, erosions in mouth, limping, fever. 37 of the cases were milking cows and the others were pregnant heifers.
Source of the outbreak(s) or origin of infection: unknown or inconclusive
Epidemiological comments: the epidemiological investigation is ongoing. Samples from the Gaza strip were sent to the Kimron Veterinary Institute and were found positive to serotype O.
Measures applied: movement control inside the country, screening, surveillance outside containment and/or protection zone, surveillance within containment and/or protection zone, zoning.
Measures to be applied: vaccination in response to the outbreak (s)
[For diagnostic laboratory and methods applied, as well as an interactive map showing the location of the outbreak, please go to the source URL above. Genotyping is "pending".]
ProMED-mail from HealthMap Alerts
[The official data above fall in line with the contents of posting 20170207.4822669, while adding the following significant information:
1. The identity of the causative agent has been established by Israel's Kimron Veterinary Institute (KVI) as FMDV serotype O. Genotyping of the virus will allow tracing back its origin and will be suggestive of the applicability of vaccines applied.
2. Information on the FMD situation in the Gaza strip, a Palestinian authority (PA) territory. According to (unofficial) information, the samples received from there at the KVI were derived from fattening calves in Rafah (adjacent to Egypt's Sinai peninsula, 12 km [7.5 mi] from Nir-Yitzhak; see map at http://tinyurl.com/hrf8fx5). An official notification from the PA authorities, with details, is anticipated.
3. Clinical signs described in the Nir-Yitzhak dairy operation. Subscribers are referred, in particular, to the recorded "drop in milk, drop in appetite." The affected dairy farm, as all large/industrial dairy operations in Israel, applies advanced technologies including computerized milking and feeding systems. This allows early detection of any changes in the milk production and/or feed consumption, phenomena which may be indicative of a developing problem, including a disease, during its earliest stages. The establishment of the "Start date" becomes feasible.
4. Numbers of clinical cases. Out of a total of 650 cattle, 79 (12.2 percent) showed clinical signs, of which 37 were milking cows and 42 were pregnant heifers. Information on their share in their respective age groups will allow assessment of the immunity in the herd, which may reflect a vaccine efficacy or vaccination performance issue. The date of the last vaccination of the herd is requested.
The FMDV strains known to have been circulating in Egypt during 2016 are, according to the data available at the Egypt page of WRLFMD, the following:
1. Serotype O, topotype EA-3, lineage unnamed
2. Serotype A, topotype AFRICA, lineage G-IV
3. Serotype SAT 2, topotype VII, lineage Alx-12
(see at http://www.wrlfmd.org/fmd_genotyping/africa/egy.htm).
A HealthMap/ProMED-mail map can be accessed at: http://healthmap.org/promed/p/58108, http://healthmap.org/promed/p/88.]